Daemon Cain Fitness

Looking for some before and after pictures from using my Bowflex? Click here.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

The Purpose Driven Life

I know a lot of successful people who will say the secret to their success lies in setting goals and although I agree 250% I need to add one this to it.

PURPOSE and PROCESS

A goal without purpose is like an idea without a mind.

So whether your goal is to get back in shape, have a great family or have a kabillion dollars in the bank it's mearely an ambition until you apply purpose and process to it.

The whole concept of purpose is pretty extraordinary. I recommend watching the 2nd Matrix movie to get a better understanding of the importance of purpose (but this time watch it for the philosophy not for the action).

Why do you want your goal? Will your goal actually fulfill you or upset you?
Confused yet? Let me explain.

1. I set a goal to lose weight.

2. This means SACRIFICE. Losing weight predicates that I have to GIVE UP Doritos and all of the junk food I love. This makes me sad. Every time I don't eat Doritos I'm more sad. If I tell myself that I can never eat Doritos again I'll be in perpetual sadness and in sacrifice mode.

3. Therefore I want to be happy. I eat Doritos and lose miss my goal.

Why did this fail? Purpose and Process where missing.

I find often times it's a question of symantics to reaching your goals.
Instead of saying I want to lose weight I say "I want to live a healthy lifestyle". Notice this is much less specific.

1. Because I've been less specific about how I'm going to reach my goal I give up Doritos I'm HAPPY because I've CHOSEN it in order to meet my criteria. I can still eat Doritos tomorrow if I choose to then.
2. If I work out today I'm happy because I've chosen it. However, if I don't do it today then tomorrow will be fine.

My commitment is to the lifestyle, not to the goal. This is where PURPOSE comes in. The process is how I do it. I have many options to losing weight, eating better, less alcohol, more exercise. I don't ever have to limit myself to one area.

Now, weight loss is just an example here but in my experience this applies to all goals in life.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

1 Comments:

  • I agree. If you have a broader goal, it is less restrictive and easier to attain. The sheer fact that a rule exists makes me want to break it, so I try to set loose guidelines for myself, rather than deadlines and absolutes. I focus on my reason for wanting something. Maybe some people are so disciplined that they can say "I'll never eat Doritos again" but I've never met one. That's why so many dieters fail or gain the weight back (I think), because once they've lost that 25lbs and attained the goal on which they've been so focused, they haven't necessarily thought about maintaining. It's about changing a path in your life you'll hopefully keep following. Where you stop along the way isn't the point.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:30 AM, April 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home