Daemon Cain Fitness

Looking for some before and after pictures from using my Bowflex? Click here.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Intimidation

So I finally did the unthinkable. I went to a GYM.
Yes...me...Mister "I'll never go to a gym" went to a gym.

I remember not that long ago thoughts of going to a gym were pretty intimidating. A gym isn't a place were unfit people go...it's place where FIT people go!! (or so I thought). I remember saying to my wife that buying the equipment was way better than a gym because I would use it. I would not use a gym membership.

Anyway, I made sure I got a few workouts in after my vacation out west. Now, just having been back less than a week I find myself in the United States again many hours drive away from the comfort of my treadmill and Bowflex.

I ate pizza for dinner last night at a pub named the Washington Street Ale House Pub. It was probably the most delicious pizza I've ever eaten.

I ate bacon and sausage and eggs for breakfast, it was also delicious. I skipped lunch because I was still full from my delicious delicious breakfast.

I made sure I had a healthy dinner and had a grilled chicken sandwich. It was not as delicious as pizza and bacon.

Regardless I knew I that skipping my workout would not help matters so I bit the bullet and hit the hotel gym.

I opened the door and somebody else was in there. I wouldn't go in...
Pretending I forgot something in my hotel room (courage perhaps) I turned around.

I went back later to find it empty so I started with the weights. Benched a few sets the worked with the lat bar for a bit. Some guy had come in while I was benching. I noticed his apprehension too when he saw me. I wonder, does everyone feel so shy about being judged??? That's a pretty sad comment on humanity.

He stopped looked toward me (I didn't look at him) and he turned around. Took a step and came back in and took a place on one of the bikes. I was very happy the the person who came to join me was just as self-conscious as I.

The weights were all very good although they feel amazingly different than the Bowflex. I don't know if I was lifting more or less weight though because I couldn't figure out how to tell. I just did it by feel.

Then, I got on the super cool treadmill with a computer screen built into it. WOW.
I started on that. During that time people came and left. I did a few programs on the machine including a fitness test and started training for a 10K run. I heard people coming and going behind me. All the while realizing that nobody else was keeping up with ME!

WHAT?????? How can this possibly be?? I actually caught myself checking my heart rate to make sure it was within "target range". *LOL*

Have I become one of those people that a few months ago I wouldn't have wanted to have seen me at the gym? Well, if so then nobody should ever feel apprehensive. Maybe it's good that we're all a little shy and self-conscious after all.

1 Comments:

  • I almost forgot about this blog, so I got to read 3 new messages in a row! I love your honesty about feeling insecure. I get the same way.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:43 PM, July 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home