Daemon Cain Fitness

Looking for some before and after pictures from using my Bowflex? Click here.

Monday, August 22, 2005

Not for its intended purpose


When I first assembed my Bowflex I realized that I wanted to do a chin up on what's referred to as the "Lat Tower".

On January 16th, 2005 I tried one chip up and completely failed. I never tried again because, really, I was a bit heavier and I didn't want to damage my equipment even before I really got the chance to use it and get in shape.

Over time I completely forgot that I had wanted to do a chip up.


I used my lat tower as a lat tower performing my "wide lat pulldowns", "narrow lat pulldowns" and "standing tricepts pushdowns".

7 months and 5 days later I remembered my failed chin up. I thought to myself "just once".

Much to my huge surprise I was able to pull myself into chin up position with next to no effort. I had done my first chin up and kept holding on.

I was giddy with pride at what seems to many like a small feat but I had never in my life been able to do this and it wasn't something I was practicing. It was something that simply "became" when I decided to make better use of my body.

The next day I made, Karla, my wife watch me as I performed chin ups. She told me she was stunned with the muscles revealed in my back and wanted to take a picture.

At this stage in my body's development I almost feel defensive. I'm certainly not huge by any stretch of the imagination. I do however think I look fit and healthy. And, when you consider where I came from, this is a big change.

Now, if you've been watching me over the course of the past few months you'll realize that I certainly haven't "popped". I don't think I'm genetically predisposed to get big muscle growth and it's something I work at very diligently for every pound of muscle I've put on but I believe all of the hard work has been worth it.

5 Comments:

  • looking very very good Mark.Keep up the good work.

    Love McMom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:17 PM, August 22, 2005  

  • Lookin' good Mark!:)

    By Blogger Mandi, at 6:20 AM, August 23, 2005  

  • Greetings!
    I found you through your wife’s BLOG.
    It seems we are paralleling each other, here. I too have just gotten to the point where I am exercising and weight training consistently and trying to loose the weight that has been with me my entire life.
    The biggest difference is that you started about 20 years before I did; I let the years pile up behind me! I am told that the older you are, the harder it gets – I wouldn’t know, I’ve never actually been healthy before - but I’m really beginning to enjoy it now.
    Of course, when the temp can go up to 123 (50+ c), all the aerobics are done in the gym. Jogging in the southwest desert can be fatal!

    By Blogger methatiam, at 9:27 AM, August 23, 2005  

  • That's great! I have never been able to do a chin up, so I can imagine how proud you must feel to be able to do one now.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:03 AM, August 24, 2005  

  • Oh, and when I met you and Karla, I wanted to comment on how good you are looking, but I didn't know how to say it without sounding like I was flirting because when you say something like that it just never comes out right.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:08 AM, August 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home