Daemon Cain Fitness

Looking for some before and after pictures from using my Bowflex? Click here.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Getting Started -The Easy How To

Christi commented on my last post that she thinks she could keep it up if only she could get started!

Let me tell you, getting started for me was much harder than sticking to it.

Before, when I was in my "getting fat and loving it" stage, I would watch my wife doing sit-ups and push-ups in our apartment living room on, an almost, daily basis.

Sometimes she would invite me to join her which I would never do. If I had, I would have had to admit that I wasn't in good shape at all and then I would have had to do something about it. And, I'd have to deal with the shame of accepting that I had let my body get as bad as it was. I would have to be responsible for those decisions in order to change them. Doritos never made me feel bad about myself.

I very clearly remember thinking that my brain was as powerful as any and that my philosophical sense and strong spirituality were who I was. I lived in my mind alone fully believing that my body was not a reflection of me, only a shell in which I lived.

Then, I came to a strong realization. Everything that I do and everything that I am is a reflection of me. My mind, spirit AND BODY.

Everything I do radiates from me and changes the way I am perceived by you (even my flaws and mistakes).

Still unwilling to fully accept responsiblity for stuffing my face full of butter chicken and french fries I decided to start small.

I ate the same, I started walking. I would walk every day for one hour during my lunch break.
I did that for about a month. Then, I cut out 1 food item that I knew was bad for me. Pop (or soda for my American friends). I did that for 1 month while still walking.

Then I started looking at the other food I was eating and switched to the Jared menu at Subway (although I don't recommend the "Subway Diet" for ANYONE anymore).

FINALLY after making these changes I STOPPED gaining weight!!!
Now it was time to start LOOSING weight!

I purchased a treadmill and as stupid as I felt I did it daily for 30 minutes. I would sweat out greasy bacon from my fat ass on a daily basis hardly even able to run for more than 30 seconds at a time before I had to stop and catch my breath. Again, I was EMBARASSED but hiding from reality certainly wasn't going to change anything. It was time to face the truth.

I was FAT, OUT OF SHAPE and it was MY FAULT

I realized I had been unable to face my own failure (my own shortcommings) but they it was written across my body for the world to see. I was denying it but everyone else could see it.

I promised myself to be the best I can be in all three facets of my life.

Body: Stay healthy, live a long life
Mind: Be smart, creative and playful as often as possible. Don't be scared to invent.
Spirit: Love, have faith in yourself and in life and the don't shy away from the power of existence.

Anyway, that's how I got started...small steps edging me forward to today.

7 Comments:

  • I'm going to print this and read it every single day? (I'm serious.)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:30 PM, April 05, 2006  

  • Oops. Ignore that question mark.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:31 PM, April 05, 2006  

  • Thanks so much Julia. I'm that you found that post useful.

    Remember keep it simple! Goals are great but keep them small so they aren't overwhemling and ignore all of those people who are telling you that you are doing it the wrong way!

    By Blogger Mark, at 4:35 AM, April 06, 2006  

  • that was a great post! very honest. i kinda hav been feeling the same way for about 1 year and now i need to get off my ass

    By Blogger dawnatello, at 8:00 PM, April 09, 2006  

  • Well Dawn!
    Time to get a move on. Rather than talk about doing something it's your turn to do it!!
    Put together a plan and email it to me. More than happy to take a look and offer some advice.

    By Blogger Mark, at 6:57 PM, April 10, 2006  

  • So you were running while doing your first 6 week bowflex workouts?

    i have a treadmill and I could do it but... my wife and I like to walk andwe can do it together, whereas treadmill its one person, then the next person.

    Im into week 2 of the Bowflex 6 week plan (lost 4.4 lbs so far!) and I havent ran at all. Some walking yes, but not any running. The only major excerise Im doing is the Bowflex and Im losing weight.

    But I do feel lighter already and might get back into running.

    By Blogger jake, at 11:51 AM, April 11, 2006  

  • I do need to do it. Sadly, if I'm being honest, it's not going to happen anytime very soon. Perhaps when I get past this hurdle, I will commit myself to making me better. I always wonder why, if I want so badly to be fit, I can't just stick to it?

    By Blogger Christi, at 5:55 PM, April 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home