Daemon Cain Fitness

Looking for some before and after pictures from using my Bowflex? Click here.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Staying Motivated


A few people have asked me recently about motivation. After you finally recognize that you need to change. You realize that you want to eat right and get the right exercise (or make any other significant change in your life) How do you stay with it? How do you stay motivated?

For me, the truth sparked while watching a commercial for the video game.
The tag line for the commercial was "For every choice: a consequence".

A no brainer really. But how many of us actually consider the consequences when we are doing some which appears as inconsequential as making lunch or when we're thirsty? Or worse yet, we don't consider the consequences of not making a choice. Like when we sit on the couch, watch TV and simply zone out.

So that's a nice story but how does this help me stay motivated?
You need a good understanding of yourself and the types of goals that you're skilled at reaching. Generally, I find smaller goals are easier than bigger ones because they you have success sooner.

  1. For me, my goal was NOT to loose weight, be muscular or strong. It was simply to be "more fit than the day before" a term that for me was vague enough that I could celebrate my success almost every time I looked in the mirror. How can you not feel good when you're always winning?
  2. Make decisions based on those goals not based on habit!

    Whatever you are doing right this moment? Is it inline with your goals (fitness or otherwise)? Is there something that you could be doing that is?

    Knowing that you're making decisions that get you closer to your goals is very critical in making you feel like you're succeeding. Whether its fitness, health or business.
  3. Want what you want. Some people want to WISH they had a great body; other people WANT a great body. Either way you'll get what you want...you wishing or you having.

1 Comments:

  • Hey, you’re back! I tried to get on your BLOG here, but the link from your wife’s kept throwing me to a BLOG NOT FOUND screen.

    Looking good, by the way.

    I have been doing the gym five days @ week since my lower back got good enough to return and I’m now doing 4½ miles @ day on the elliptical as well as the weights.

    I’m finally getting to the point were I look forward to the workout for it’s own sake.

    Never thought I’d say that!

    By Blogger methatiam, at 12:04 PM, April 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home