Daemon Cain Fitness

Looking for some before and after pictures from using my Bowflex? Click here.

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Perspective and change

Our lives are filtered by our perspective and therefore how we experience things is coloured with the same marker.

Take losing a job for instance. It feels horrible, you experience a sense of rejection and you are probably angry. However, chances are, you'll end up in a better paying job and ultimately be happier. Even if you know you'll be financially secure it doesn't stop the negative feelings associated with losing a job. Like it or not, you're dealing with change and it can be painful.

Change is always a mixed bag at best. Even if the change is good there's always pros and cons to your new situation.

It doesn't have to be this way if you use perspective to your advantage.

When I first started working out I was sore afterwards. I kept at it and eventually my body became accustomed to the abuse it was taking several times a week. Slowly that soreness stopped reporting itself as strongly to my brain. It became my badge of honour reminding me every waking moment that I was becoming better.

I work out to make sure my body fails me every single time. My GOAL is to let myself down. My goal is fail and be beaten by inanimate iron and to have to have ass whiped and served by my Bowflex's resistance rods. Some people say working out is painful. That, like all change, changing your body hurts. But let me tell you it only hurts if you believe it's pain and you believe that it's negative.

Maybe it's just me but I like the burning throb left in my biceps and the soreness in my legs as I walk up the stairs the next day. I like the way my back feels like it's going to explode if I do one more rep (so I do a full set just to add insult to injury).

It's not pain that I'm feeling as my body gets broken down. It's pure, unadulterated bliss. Beating my body is nurrishment for my soul and is where my mind can actually sleep and repare.

My daily troubles, like my ego, are checked at the door and there's nothing else to think about except my next rep and making it to 12.

2 Comments:

  • You're tougher than me. I like my muscles to tingle and let me know they've been worked out, but I'm not at the burning throb stage. :) I know what you mean about clearing your mind and being in the physical.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:28 AM, July 23, 2006  

  • wow that is awesome. you have come a long way from fitting in that workout and it being hard to really enjoying it.
    best of luck BTW with the pregnancy

    By Blogger dawnatello, at 2:51 PM, July 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home