Daemon Cain Fitness

Looking for some before and after pictures from using my Bowflex? Click here.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

A bit disappointed with my Bowflex...

I've read a lot of debate on the limitations of resistance machines against the "weight" counterparts. I'm a big fan of the Bowflex however I do have some problems with my model. Specifically the resistance limitation of 210 pounds.

On approximately 40% of my exercises I'm maxing out my Bowflex. I wrote Nautilus to ask what I could do and, although very supportive about it all, they could only suggest adding more reps to my sets until I fully outgrow the machine...or I can always purchase a new one today. I have to admit I'm not so happy about that one but I simply don't have any more money to spend on new fitness equipment less than one year after I bought my Bowflex.

So my approach is pretty simple. I'm paying way more attention to FORM and SPEED. Taking the time to do the exercises more slowly (about 3-4 seconds for each rep) really adds a level of challenge. This should keep my workouts good for another few months at least. Then...I'll figure something out. Probably by a bench and some weights and do it the old fashioned way.

Is this the end of my Bowflex Love Affair??? I hope not but I don't know what else to do? Until people start giving them away I'm sorta stuck aren't I?

6 Comments:

  • Hey, I'll buy it from you for $20. Will that help?

    By Blogger Christi, at 6:37 PM, October 11, 2005  

  • I would check out yardsales. People around here are always buying exercise equiment, never using it, and then reselling it.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:49 PM, October 11, 2005  

  • Even if/when you have outgrown the thing entirely, it'll still keep you in muscle tone, if not building larger muscle.
    I am impressed that the mfg. actually responded. That's quite rare.

    By Blogger methatiam, at 7:54 PM, October 11, 2005  

  • Christi: Actually Karla seems to like it a lot too so I think we'll be keeping it around for a while longer. I'm sure if you wanted one you could take Julia's advise you might be able to find one cheap.

    Julia: Great advise. Bowflex also suggested going to a used sporting goods store.

    Methatiam: Yeah, again, I think Bowflex (Nautilus) is a great company who makes great products. I'm just a bit disappointed they didn't have a solution/upgrade for me that allows me to keep my Bowflex longer...

    By Blogger Mark, at 3:57 AM, October 12, 2005  

  • What if I just come and live with you and Karla?

    By Blogger Christi, at 6:26 PM, October 12, 2005  

  • Wow, Mark. This blog could become an empire. I would definitely sign up for that.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:16 PM, October 13, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home